Date: Thu, 07 Sep 1995 20:44:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: KKHJ@delphi.com
Subject: Theid Mi Dhachaidh, can you forward?
To: craig@SiliconGlen.com

Hello Craig, I think you are right that these words in Gaelic and English would be of interest to other readers of the newsgroup rec.music.celtic; but my software will not import this text into newsgroups. I am hoping that if I send it to you, you could forward it to that newsgroup? I am sending this to Digitrad. Thanks, Karen

Theid Mi Dhachaidh

Gaelic lyrics to "Theid Mi Dhachaidh", or
"Cro Chinn T-Saile "
(Courtesy of An Comunn Gaidhealach,
many thanks to them for their kindness)

Séist
Theid mi dhachaidh ho ro dhachaidh,
Theid mi dhachaidh chrò Chin t-Sàile,
Theid mi dhachaidh ho ro dhachaidh,
Theid mi dhachaidh chrò Chinn t-Sàile.

Rann 1
Theid mi fhìn, leam fhìn, leam fhìn ann,
Theid mi fhìn, leam fhìn a Geàrrloch,
Theid mi fhìn, leam fhìn, leam fhìn ann
'S gabhaidh mi 'n rathad mór Chinn t-Sàile.

Rann 2
Bi mi nochd am buaile Phearsain,
Bi mi 'n a chuid mhart am màireach.
Bi mi nochd am buaile Phearsain,
Bi mi 'n a chuid mhart am màireach.

English lyrics, from Talitha MacKenzie's "Sólas" CD

I will go home
I will go home to the cattlefold of Kintail.
I will go home
I will go home to the cattlefold of Kintail.

I will go myself, by myself, there
I will go myself, by myself to Gairloch.
I will go myself, by myself, there
I will take the high road to Kintail.

Tonight I will be in the parson's cattlefold,
Tomorrow I will be with the cattle
headed for the slaughter
Tonight I will be in the parson's cattlefold,
Tomorrow I will be with the cattle
headed for the slaughter.

(She adds another verse:)

I will go to Urray, to reap the sea-bent
I will go to Urray with you, my love
I will go to Urray, to reap the sea-bent
I will go to Urray with you, my love.

The Gaelic for this is:

Théid mi dh'Uraigh bhuain a' mhurain
Théid mi dh'Uraigh leat a ghràidh bhig
Théid mi dh'Uraigh bhuain a' mhurain
Théid mi dh'Uraigh leat a ghràidh bhig

Scottish FAQ > FAQ Contents > Song lyrics > Theid mi Dhachaidh - from Rob Roy > Top

Q-HTML V3.4 by Craig Cockburn created this page on 19-Jun-2012 at 08:06:27